December 05, 2014 Non-Discrimination Notices
KEEPING YOU INFORMED…
The U.S. Department of Education, New York Office for Civil Rights, (“OCR”) recently determined that a BOCES discriminated against students by failing to publish a non-discrimination notice that complied with federal laws and regulations. We encourage all of our school district and BOCES clients (“schools”) to review your non-discrimination notices to ensure that these notices contain the following statements:
- The school does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in its programs and activities.
- The school provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups.
- Discrimination inquiries, including Title IX inquiries, may be referred to the school’s Title IX Coordinator or to OCR.
- The name, title, office address and telephone number of the employee designated by the school to coordinate compliance with Title IX.
- The name, title, office address and telephone number of the employee designated by the school to coordinate compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Please contact us if you have any questions or if you would like assistance complying with the above-mentioned laws and regulations enforced by OCR.
THIS MEMORANDUM IS MEANT TO ASSIST IN GENERAL UNDERSTANDING OF THE CURRENT LAW. IT IS NOT TO BE REGARDED AS LEGAL ADVICE. THOSE WITH PARTICULAR QUESTIONS SHOULD SEEK THE ADVICE OF COUNSEL.
© Lamb & Barnosky, LLP 2014
 Sullivan County NY Bd. of Coop. Educ. Servs., 114 LRP 35055, Case No. 02-14-1194 (OCR, New York 05/15/14)
 20 U.S.C. § 1681 et seq., 34 C.F.R. Part 106
 42 U.S.C. § 12131 et seq., 28 C.F.R. Part 35